Monday, August 10, 2009

Dexter Is A Thinker


I admit I really can't appreciate the violent scenes in Dexter and routinely close my eyes or look out the window prior to the action. I'm also aware of the conundrum I experience internally when I think through the concept of using free time to blog about a television character who kills people. It appears upon first thought to be a bizarre misuse of my time, and perhaps even repulsively opposed to who I am. But on second thought, this is exactly why the show captivates an international audience: it drops a deluge of human paradox and moral ambiguity in front of the viewer's eyes and then cues the ears of everyone watching to tune in to their own personal dilemmas through Dexter's narration.
In the first season, the writers did an excellent job filling us in on who Dexter is and how he sees himself. He shares that he is a "neat monster," as well as empty and damaged, and that something mysterious has "left a hollow place inside." There are scenes where he watches himself as an outside observer of his own life and believes life must be pretty easy for others, who are likely not having to fake their emotional responses to loved ones.

But this is the part that is so obviously human for all of us. There are days when I definitely use unkind words to describe myself and moments I've wanted to stand on something tangible while sensing that empty ache in the center of my solar plexus. And like most people who have been conditioned by the rugged individualism of the American boots-on mentality, I'm convinced that whatever is happening in my solar plexus is my own mess. Surely everyone else is skipping boundlessly into their morning showers with a twinkle-y song and a renewed fervor for returning to the office. When tough moments have passed I realize I've undergone a normal human process, but by then it's too murky to call back for a replay with friends. I'd rather move on. So aside from watching beautiful people on the screen, such as Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter, who play siblings on the show and are married in real life, I'm able to see parts of my own experience unfolding through Dexter as he exposes his keen observations.

As a way to support his pathological tendencies, Dexter shares early on that he doesn't understand emotion and hence has a difficult time faking it. (Never mind that emotion is a subjective phenomena, and not something we can necessarily cognitively "understand" in the moment it occurs.) But the show's set-up was certainly well-done, because anyone with half a neuron knows that sociopaths aren't accessing the full scale of human emotions. However, I'm pretty convinced that at least in American culture, a lot of us are living almost exclusively in our heads and lack practice (not the ability) with feeling a wider range of our personal pangs and joys. Maybe we don't go to the extent that Dexter must, and copy a dramatist's words verbatim to propose marriage, but our culture does espouse the academic, logical, and assessment-oriented style over all others. Our conditioning around being good thinkers is so saturated into our lives that it helps to stop and ask what your social norming has promised you in the first place. What are you gaining by being cut-off from your emotional life? The perception of control, success, or strength? You're likely convinced that stopping for even one moment to experience a feeling or a stillness would be a waste of time, or pointless...or terrifying.

If you said terrifying, then you're not as identified with your mental schemata as most Americans. You know somewhere inside of you something volcanic and uncontrollable could rupture, and then what would happen? Isn't this exactly why Dexter is married to a code instead of the experience of life? No wonder this show has the audience hooked. We might not be murderers, but many of us are clearly committed to keeping emotion captive.

9 comments:

  1. Ok, my puter just did something weird and I lost the beginning of my last comment. Sorry.

    I started by telling you "Great Post!" Then I began rambling on about not feeling right about leaving a comment the size of "War and Peace". The thing is, you bring up such brilliant points for discussion, and I have so much to say I seriously can't decide. Like a kid in a candy store I am!

    I guess I will start with faking emotions... and add a comment a day till I'm done. ha!

    Ok, when I was very young, I remember watching my mother talk to my aunts while they were having coffee and smoking one day. I thought to myself, she is different with them. Like she's putting on a show. Her voice was different, she exadurated (everything from the stories themselves, to her body language)and her eyes got very big a lot, and her eyebrows raised a lot too. Maybe it was the caffeine, but I don't think so. Not entirely. I remembered promising myself I was never going to do that. I thought it was silly and weird and completely transparent. I'm not meaning to diss my ma here, we all do it to some extent. It just hit me real hard and wrong that day. However I feel about it, I find myself doing it more than I'd like... Imprinting? I'm not sure, but it doesn't feel like anything that I have conscious control over... Sort of automatic, like breathing. Although I do catch myself sometimes, and when I do, it is both annoying and satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi PF,
    There is something very powerful about imprinting, but not so powerful, thank the gods, that it can dictate our lives as adults. I'm so happy for you that you have "caught yourself." I believe it means a very alive and active part of the essence of who you are is doing its own thing, and in those moments you are made strikingly aware of it--free from old learning, able to exercise control over the life you have now. The more you allow yourself to feel the invigoration of those moments, I think the more and more you'll feel you do have conscious control over those habits. And your son will be so thrilled to have grown up in a household with a real, connected, moment-to-moment mother. WOO HOO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,

    Yes, I just wish I had matured sooner!

    Thanks for your insights. It helps to hear what you say, as I tend to be really hard on myself... as most of us are. I don't see the progress or the good as much as the long road ahead! It's good to be reminded.

    Ok, so today I'm going to focus on the second paragraph, last quote
    -"I'm able to see parts of my own experience unfolding through Dexter as he exposes his keen observations."
    -I find myself doing this a whole lot with Dexter narrations. I feel sure the writers do this on purpose and it's brilliant. It FORCES us to identify with Dexter. Many of his insecurities are the basic ones we all have, they are just maybe amplified because of the intensity of his lifestyle, his past and how he experiences the world. (Having some disconnect with feeling his feelings, etc)

    As skilled and intelligent and resourceful as Dexter is, we see him struggle as an adult, with figuring out the depth of the lies he's been told by the one person he trusted most, Harry. Most of us realize the ways we differ from our parents or how they've bent the truth at a much earlier age than Dexter does...I mean it's like he finds out there's no Santa, Easter Bunny, Superheros or Toothfairy all at the same time! And it's because he believes that is the only way he CAN live is by Harry's code on a much more high stakes level than most of us due to the killing, and etc.. Damn, he got screwed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. COMMENT FOR THE DAY:

    Hi IDWD,

    I was thinking about what you said about living in our heads and being cut off from emotions. I think you are very very right about this. In fact, I feel sure this is a huge factor in our high crime rate. And to add to it, we are is the sort of worship of the illusion of "not having enough time", and all the anxiety that goes with it. Just ask somebody what they've been up to...(The answer often will include, "Well you know, been busy..." bla bla bla) I think it makes us feel we are more important/significant or something. Practicing stillness and being aware in each moment as much as possible helps time to pass more slowly and richly.

    It makes me sad when I see parents throwing thier kids onto the treadmill earlier and earlier, passing on the anxieties they've been sold as surely as the sun is in the sky each day.

    I can't really think today. Hope you are well.
    pf

    ReplyDelete
  5. He Said, "It's all in your head"
    and I Said, "So is everything!"
    but he didn't get it - Fiona Apple

    Also,
    "Normal People are just people that you do not know very well yet!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. PF, Exactly my thoughts about why I've been so intrigued with Dexter! The writers do such a fantastic job with exposing his inner doubt and insecurity that it does reflect the common human experience. And how many of us are intelligent, capable, sometimes powerful and wonderful people that trip, at least from time to time, on our self-doubt? I would say all of us. What you've written is exactly what I might have shared as well. Thanks for your post. I plan to post in the future more specifically about how the family piece and our parents' needs affect our development. I share the notion that Dexter has been manipulated and/or victimized by Harry: I would say he did indeed receive quite a mind screw from the co-dependent cop. So stay tuned! And thanks again for being open on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To PF Regarding Your Comments About Anxiety,
    Feeling Important, And Children: (look how many compelling subjects...we should seriously start a forum),

    What a relief to know there are people who relate to the distinction between getting to the next thing and being present-centered in any moment. I recently moved to a foreign country and found myself wrestling with not having "important" things to do and without having an identity that was clearly linked to a career. It's been great practice at being awake and alive in the smallest of moments: how the water feels on my hands as it wipes a dish clean, how the neighbor's cat meows so nicely outside our door, how my feet feel as they slap the tile on the way up the stairs. Those moments feel truly rich with some kind of aliveness that we don't even know is with us when we're living in our heads and cut-off from our emotions.

    The fast pace children are exposed to does make it seem as if their worth was attached to how many activities they can fit into one day. I'm sure that's not the kind of pattern you are practicing with your son. How lovely to know you can identify there's some sadness in you as you watch other children getting whooped up into those anxious places. I think this means your son will be able to make choices based on what inspires him and makes him feel good, rather than what gives him approval or the sense that he is keeping up with someone else. Those first years really are so important.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I was going to suggest that maybe you could create a Dex chatroom link... but I'm not sure how that stuff all works. It might bring you some more traffic somehow... Oh yea, and you can also "monetize" you're site. And in return they get to advertise.

    What happens is that Google will channel all traffic interested in your blog subject to your blog based on their searches. I'm not exactly sure of the details, but that might be another idea to help get some attention.

    I think this is a really great site, and you tackle really important issues that are not really thought about or discussed much. I really love exploring all this stuff, and i'll bet there are more of us!

    BTW, are you a psych major? :-}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your suggestions, PF. I have my hands in a variety of projects and do intend to get more blog-flexible soon as I would like other fans to run across the site and share their commentary. That might be a good project for this weekend, and thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad you think others would enjoy exploring the subject matter. I'm a psychotherapist and love bantering about these issues. Until I dilly-dallied with this blog I had no idea how popular it has become with folks. And since I'm out of the country right now, it's a great way to still feel like I'm part of the mainstream, TV-watching American culture.

    ReplyDelete