Saturday, August 22, 2009

Harry the Cop and His Codependent Ways



When I began watching season one of Dexter, I found myself rooting for him almost immediately, and what fans didn't? It's the essential notion of cheering for a killer that captivated so many viewers, and the same notion that resulted in the Parent's TV Council begging for CBS not to air the show on prime time television. But even though this aspect of Dexter's character brings a thrilling intensity to the screen and leaves us to wonder how right or wrong Dexter's actions might be, it is the weaving of Dexter's history that most fascinates me. Dexter is an exaggerated version of all of us, having been undeniably shaped and sometimes even coerced by the environment around us.

Primarily, the family that raised us sent a myriad of messages about who we are and what we are to do in the world. While watching the flashback scenes during season one of Dexter as a young boy with his foster father, Harry, I was intially relieved and elated that this understanding cop could have the foresight to help a child's urges be controlled or channeled. Certainly the writers intended this. The rescue of a troubled child with a mysterious past and the hero who gives his life potential is a classic story our culture loves. What a stand-up guy! What a selfless, giving, foster-father who not only changes a boy but also teaches how to deliver justice in a world that makes such horrifying mistakes!

However, upon further reflection, what becomes clearer is that Harry's "code" and his repeated interventions with Dexter are primarily for his own gain: he can't tolerate injustice, he gets off on being a savior, and his own guilt or remorse about events not uncovered until later in the series can be rectified by the daily sacrifice he makes to add a sociopath to his family unit. In a number of the flashback scenes, we see Harry stepping in to admonish Dexter and to give him messages about adapting and faking so that he will appear "normal."

In each of these scenes, have you noticed the deference and admiration Dexter gives Harry in return? What child wouldn't? Two more good reasons for the honest cop to take a broken birdy under his wing: if someone gives him that kind of respect and admiration, the sum for him, of course, is power.

And this is what makes Harry, in my estimation, a very codependent parent. Usually we refer to codependency in the arena of romantic relationships, as in, "I can't breathe when you're not here." Or the term is used to describe the person in a relationship who enables or supports another's behavioral patterns. But the bottom line is that in a codependent relationship, both parties believe they need the other to survive, and this belief stems from a limited sense of personal power.
Do you remember Dexter's first dastardly deed? When Harry was in the hospital, he asked Dexter to take out the nurse: the very nurse who had been attempting to hurt Harry. Talk about I can't make it without you! Even though viewers are led to believe Dexter has some kind of internal problem with his violent impulses, you wonder how Harry's influence actually made these impulses even more recalcitrant to change. To the point that he requested his son keep him safe in a hospital, Harry clearly wanted Dexter to feel responsible for him. He had it backwards: the parent is supposed to keep the child safe.

But children often feel some kind of responsibility to their parents. This occurs because parents often inadvertently create codpendent cycles with their children by relying on them: change you're behavior so I'll feel better, keep your needs at bay because I'm tired, cover up my sense of personal inadequacy by becoming a brilliant doctor, and so on. So the child learns to put their own desires and needs aside to serve the needs of the parent, and in this way the child becomes responsible for the parent.

The payoff for the parent is an emotional boost of self-importance, power, and control as well as feeling admired and revered. Ironically, the child is learning how to elicit similar feelings and discovers that it feels good to please their parents because they gain a feeling of love and approval. Both are relying on the other, making codependency a very mutually reinforcing relationship.

But it STARTS with the parents. Parents who need their children to behave in a certain way are really trying to quench their own unmet needs. Where have you noticed that this is true for you? Are there certain behaviors your child does that drive you nuts, and how are they related to your own needs? In what ways were your parents' unmet needs deposited into their expectations of you?
Once you can name them, the grip of those old expectations can be loosened. And like Dexter, our inevitable evolution gives us the chance to grow out of what we were taught in order to create our own unique ways of relating to the world. Please feel free to share about how you related to Dexter's process of questioning Harry or the moments you realized you wanted to move BEYOND your parents' needs for you to be what they wanted. And tell us how you did it!



4 comments:

  1. Hey IDWD!

    So happy to see a new post~ I really love to read your take on things. And this is a great post.

    I was really soft towards Harry in the beginning. It seemed like he didn't know any better what to do about Dex. He thought he was doing right, etc.. but the more times I watched, the angrier I got with the way he handled everything right down to Dex's mom. (I think maybe I overidentified with Dexter just a wee bit!)

    Dexter finds a reel to reel with Harry and his bio mom talking, she mentions that she thinks that they are in danger and that someone had followed them to the park. Harry is so arrogant and eager for his own bust, that he doesn't even consider this possible! He says "If we were followed, I would have known it". Or something to that effect. (We find out later that she was right, they were followed). THEN, he obviously does not provide her with adequate protection, because she is then kidnapped and dismembered. THEN, instead of adopting Dex AND his brother, he leaves the brother sitting in that pool of blood and then has him shipped to a mental instituion. I just cannot believe anyone with half a brain or heart would separate 2 siblings, especially after the ordeal they had just been through. All they had left in the world was each other. There is so much wrong with Harry, it's not even funny. Then there was the way he treated Deb. That was a shame.

    Then after all that trauma, he does not see fit to get the 3 year old ANY therapy! EVEN after he discovers that Dex is killing animals... He decides he should teach him how to kill without getting caught! What a great guy! Having a 3 year old myself is a big part of the reason those scenes are so emotional for me. I can't help but imagine how devestated my son would be. It makes me cringe.

    After rereading this I realize that I have not written a word about co-dep. Sorry. I wish I could start over, but I'm too tired. There's always more to say.

    I will also have to think about the questions you posed in the last paragraph before I answer. The problem I have answering questions like that is that they are not short answer essays for me, they are blue books! But I will strive to be focused and concise.

    take care,
    pf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear PF, You are so right! I enjoy it so much when others' perspectives arrive to chew on, because there is always another facet I hadn't thought of or an addition to what I was thinking that makes this exchange so fun! You are sooo spot-on about Harry's arrogance. In addition to not giving any clout to the mother's fears, he entered into a relationship with her, again, based almost totally on the foundation of HIM having the control and power. Yuck. She had to answer to him, risk her safety for him, be "rescued" by him, and then look up to him enough to continue placing the safety of her children in an ambiguous and dangerous situation. And as you said, he treated Deb like a ninny too. It was all about him, clearly.

    I'm sure your angry feelings were strong ones, especially since you have a three year old. One of my trusted friends says without compunction that she would throw herself in front of a semitruck for her children. It's clearly a powerful, powerful connection that gives you an increased ability to see how easily children are manipulated and abused.

    Please: if you decide to respond to any of the questions, no striving allowed! Just hope the questions give readers something to chew on or some way to illuminate the good progress they have already made toward identifying how they have managed to evolve beyond their first family. Have a great Sunday, PF!

    IDWD

    ReplyDelete
  3. IDWD,

    How my parents' co-d transfered to me and sibs... well there were many ways. "Children should be seen and not heard". This is so FOR the adult and not the child. Can you say, "I cannot deal with you?" That is the first one I can think of.

    My father and mother were both very co d, with each other and everyone else in their circle as well. It was the classic mafia tribal mentality. I scratch your back, you scratch mine twice. That was a pervasive theme. Also, the "Don't tell me anything unless you want to deal with my 'reaction'". There was swinging of extremes from over involvement to neglect, which was confusing and confounding.

    My father in particular had issue with most emotions besides pure joy and pure rage. He could not bear to see us cry. It 'hurt him so badly', he'd yell at us to stop... so obviously there was a lot of disociation as a result. Nuff said about this I spose!

    Now, justs to prove what a conditioned cod I am... I'm going to defend them! So despite their obvious failings in personal actualization, healing and conscious parenting, they did the very best they could. They lived through their own abusive upbringings, undiagnosed insanities, extreme prejudice, the great depression and WWII. So, I am not bitter about it anymore, just sort of wistful when it comes to mind. They had 5 children and I think we are all fairly likeable/caring folk... for the most part, save lots of emotional damage, which is in vaious stages healing for all of us. That is the short version! :-p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, PF, your openness is touching and your sense of humor so lovely in the mix of a dense subject like parenting patterns. Funny that you said you'd be a classic cod-er and defend your parents! It sounds to me like you've made peace about them having done their best. And their blurry spots probably made you radiantly clear. I notice I am HIGHLY attuned to certain nuances that others aren't precisely because my parents had some blaring unresolved things going on, and I think this helps us appreciate things in a more panoramic kind of way. The wonderful thing about family, after you get through identifying the muck (if you do that part, of course) is a more honest recognition of how well our parents did despite their sticky doo-hickeys, and seeing how each generation is able to make their own experience so much richer. I don't mean this in a competitive sense, but in a continually -developing sense. Imagine where you are compared to where your parents were able to be...Imagine how healthy your son and your son's children will be! Thank you again for dropping in!
    IDWD

    ReplyDelete